Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Photos

These aren't all the photos I took but I thought a good sampling would suffice. I'll send around the full album at some point soon.

This is me on the beach in Seaside the day after I finished and when the sun finally came out. It was still really cold and the wind was blowing pretty fierce as can be determined by my 80's side-swept hairdo:



Here's the view from the beach of the national forest and the Pacific Ocean. I thought it was neat that the forest comes right up to the ocean. In the east, at least the beaches I go to, you know you're getting closer to the ocean when the trees start looking more like shrubs. But in the west, the trees are tall and magnificent right up to the sea:



Here's me reenacting reaching my goal in Seaside. My camera didn't have any battery power the day of, so the next day I put my gear back on my bike and rode down a couple blocks from the Seaside hostel to the ocean to take this photo. The day was basically the same--rainy and overcast so you'd never know the difference:



This is Highway 12 in Washington state, surrounded by deserty cliffs. About 10 minutes after I took this photo I stopped for a banana break and was picked up by Dennis and Cynthia Phillips and transported by car to Portland, Oregon. I mainly was on roads much like this throughout the trip:



This is Highway 12 in Idaho. This was a beautiful road, but it was also dangerous because of all the logging trucks. I wouldn't go on this section of the road again if I had the choice:



These are the Grand Tetons at sunset. I took this photo after pitching my tent on a horse pasture at the Triangle X Dude Ranch, owned by Mr. Turner who generously let me camp on his property though it wasn't really allowed:



This is the highest elevation I climbed to on the trip, in Wyoming. Though this wasn't the steepest climb I had to make:



Here's Wyoming, which redeemed itself by being beautiful at times. This is right before I got to Dubois:



Here's Nebraska! That's Lake McConaughy which is a resovoir in the western part of the state. This part of Nebraska was very nice to bike through, it got hilly but there were a lot of great views:



The sunset in Roscoe, Nebraska at Bonnie and Greg Johnson's RV and camping site. They set up an RV Park on their property so I just camped in their yard. It was really nice and Bonnie made me a great breakfast in the morning--highly recommended site to camp right outside Ogallala:



Thanks to the Lincoln, Nebraska Department of Recreation I knew to avoid big trucks. Actually I just thought it was a funny sign:



St. Louis is the Gateway to the West, but I didn't really feel like I was in the West until I got to Nebraska:



This is that beautiful midwestern scene of hayfields and wildflowers. I never asked anyone what that brownish-rusty colored plant was but I thought the colors together were so amazing:

1 comment:

philjohn said...

Amelia,
it was such a joy to our lives to meet you in the manner that we did. We have never had a shorter trip anywhere. It went bye too fast for us, actually. We love to share your story with friends all over the world. What a feat you 'mastered'. Congratulations!
We love Dubois, WY. If we did not tell you, the first time we rolled into town we immediately searched out the superintendent of schools begging for jobs... NONE! of course.
Come back to Lewiston, Idaho anytime you and any friends are welcome to stay with us.
D/C